Custom Search

Friday, December 11, 2009

My Husband's Nuts...

So the night before last, I had to do some shopping. I packed my kids up in my minivan and off we went.

First stop, Super One Foods. The mission? Mixed nuts.

Why is my husband so nuts about his nuts? He likes unsalted mixed nuts. However, most mixed nut blends on the market contain peanuts- which he doesn't like. The ones that have no peanuts come in small containers. He wants a BIG container. He also isn't a real fan of almonds and almost all nut blends have almonds. **SIGH**

So I finally came up with a solution that was practical. I bought two large containers of cashews, two bags of walnuts, two bags of hazelnuts, two bags of pecans and two bags of brazil nuts and mixed them all up in a giant bowl.

I also learned that if you tell a grocery store employee that your husband is "weird about his nuts" you then get to watch that employee turn purple trying not to bust out laughing.

Next up, Menard's. Our quest was a new door knob for my bedroom, a key for D to get in the house and a part for our handheld shower head. I also scored some info for my landlord, who will be super thrilled to know he can get the faucet in the kitchen fixed FREE! (It drips.) As an extra added bonus, I scooped up two gifts for a dear friend. I think she'll be thrilled. Amazing what you can buy at a hardware store!

As we were checking out, I was gathering up our purchases and getting my little son bundled up to go back out in the cold. As we were about to walk out the door, an elderly man ran up to me and handed me my purse. I'd left it at the checkout. D said, "Wow, Mom! That man was really nice! Some people would have stolen it."

For some reason it made me sad that she said that. I remember when she was little and she thought everyone in the world was her friend. Now she's older and has learned that there are bad people out there. I am watching my daughter slowly lose her innocence and naivety and it actually breaks my heart. Kids don't stay little forever, I'm afraid.

But the great thing about age 9 is that she was right back to being a sweet kid again, trying to con me into buying her candy. Gotta love her.

Oh, and Billy loves his mixed nuts. Apparently, the ability to purchase bags of nuts and blend them into a giant bowl is enough to qualify me for "Best Wife EVER!". Who knew?

1 comment: